These steps are foolproof, and if you are willing to invest in just a little energy, you’ll be a makeup pro in no time!
Step 1: Know Your Skin Type
Based on your skin type, you need to figure out if you should be using water-based or oil-based makeup products. Mixing water-based skin care with oil-based makeup will probably not yield the best results. When you think about it, it’s just basic science; oil and water never mix. The oil always floats above the water. This means that your oil-based makeup might not sit well on your skin. So figure out your skin type first.
Once you have all the products you need, you may start with the actual makeup application
Step 2: Get Your Face Ready
How to get the perfect makeup look? Makeup is an art, so it requires a clean base.
- The first and foremost thing is to keep your skin healthy.
- Go for facials and keep your skin hydrated Alternatively, you can do a DIY facial yourself at home.
- Try to use a deep cleansing face mask to cleanse the face of any dirt or oil from within.
- If you have dull and dry skin, exfoliate to remove dead skin layers or dry patches. Remember not to over exfoliate.
- Apply a toner on a damp cotton pad and sweep it over the face gently. Using a toner will make sure that the pH balance is restored and it will pick up any remaining dirt as well.
- Once done, apply a moisturizer irrespective of any skin type. Use a light moisturizer if you have an oily skin and use a heavy one if your skin lacks moisture.
The next step would be to apply a primer.
Step 3: Applying Primer
- Wait for the moisturizer to set in.
- Now apply primer. A primer will ensure you have a smooth surface to work on.
- It will make it easier to apply the foundation.
- It will also help the makeup to last longer.
Once you’ve prepped and primed your face, we now move onto the concealing.
Step 4: Applying Concealer
- As the name suggests, a concealers job is to conceal any spots or imperfections.
- Apply the concealer under your eyes in an inverted triangle and dab it into the skin with either a brush, beauty sponge or your finger. The ring finger has the lightest touch, so it’s best to opt for it when blending in delicate areas like the under eye area.
- Apply the concealer in the rest of the areas where you think you require it.
- It is vital that you only dab and not blend the concealer since you don’t want to be moving the product around too much.
The next one is probably one of the most important steps in applying makeup.
Step 5: Applying Foundation
Choosing the right foundation can be difficult.
- Choose the right foundation according to your skin type. Usually, powder and water-based liquid foundations are good for oily skin while dry skin is best off with cream foundation or oil based liquid foundation.
- Apply a small quantity of the foundation onto the face. Distribute it evenly.
- Use a foundation brush, or blending sponge to blend it in.
- Blend well till you get a smooth finish.
Step 6: Touchups
- If needed, check whether you need to conceal anything else
- Using it again will ensure that any remaining spots are concealed and redness is minimized.
Since we’ve finished our base makeup, it’s time to move on to adding a pop of color to the cheeks!.
Step 7: Applying Blush
For a more natural looking blush use the powder blush right after applying foundation.
- Simply smile to determine where the blush should go and dust it onto the apples of your cheeks with a light hand.
- Use gentle strokes.
- After blending, check on both sides of the cheek to see whether the result is as desired.
- If you want more intensity, use more blush and blend in as instructed above.
- Avoid too much of it! You want to look like you have a healthy glow and not a clown!
Step 8: Applying Eyeshadow
We now arrive at what I believe to be one of the most intimidating parts about the makeup—eye shadow. It takes a lot of practice for it to look perfect.
- Use an eye primer to prime the eyelids.
- If you have an oily lid, then this is a compulsory step for you. The primer will keep the oil away while making the eye makeup last longer.
- If you want a shimmery eye look then use a shimmery primer to prime the eyes. A cool toned primer will look great on the fair skin while a warmer one will complement a medium or a slightly darker skin tone.
- Apply the primer all over the eyelid.
Now that we’re done applying the eye primer, it’s time for the eyeshadow
- Apply a golden eye shadow on the lids and blend in well.
- Smoothen out any harsh lines and do not apply any cream shade above it.
- If you want a simple everyday look, use non-shimmery and natural colors like browns, nudes, pastels or taupe. These look great for daily wear.
- For those occasions where you need to add more colors, wine shades, purple, reds, green and blues do a great job.
- Invest in some good eyeshadows.
- If you are using cream shadows either top it with a translucent powder or apply a same shaded powder eye shadow to seal it in place.
After applying the eyeshadow, it’s time to move onto the eyeliner.
Step 9: Applying Eyeliner
- Use brown or black eye pencil to line your eyes.
- Use brown eyeliner for a subtle look and black for a more defined eye look.
- Sometimes, when I feel like skipping the eyeshadow, I complete my makeup look with only eyeliner.
- Apply liquid or gel liner on the upper lash line and wing it out if you want.
- Use kohl on the lower lash line.
Now, we move onto the last step in eye makeup. That’s right, it’s time to curl those lashes!
Step 10: Applying Mascara
- Use your eye lash curler to gently curl your lashes.
- Add false lashes for a dramatic effect.
- Do keep in mind to choose the lash glue carefully. Make sure to use only the glue that’s meant for the eyelashes.
- Now, apply another layer of mascara to make it look thicker and full.
- If you use false lashes, first apply them and then curl them along with the natural lashes.
- Once done, apply mascara.
Step 11: Doing Your Brows
- Now fill in your brows with a brow pencil or use a bit of powder eye shadow to fill the gaps of the eyebrow, if any.
- Use a brow brush to tame the brows or use a clear mascara to keep them tamed throughout the day.
Step 12: Applying Lipstick
- How to do perfect lip makeup? Before you use any color, check if your lips are dry or chapped.
- If you have chapped lips take a damp washcloth and gently rub over the lips to remove the dead skin. Alternatively, you can use a damp toothbrush to do the same.
- Next, apply a lip balm and let it sit for 2 minutes.
- Now gently remove excess balm using a blotting paper or a napkin Once that is taken care of, apply the lipstick.
- If you want the lip color to stay all day, use a matching or nude lip liner underneath.
- Apply the lip pencil and fill in the lips.
- Now apply the lipstick either directly from the tube or use a lip brush.
- Once you have applied it, blot and reapply another layer. This ensures that the color stays for a longer time.
- Add a layer of gloss for added shine.
And you are ready to go! Hope these easy steps helped you on how to do a perfect makeup. Till then, keep it stylish!